In 1839, the local Hokkien community built the Thian Hock Keng Temple to worship Goddess of the Seas (MaZu) and used it as a meeting place. The temple was bestowed an imperial scroll with the words “Bo Jing Nan Ming” (translated as “The waves are calm in the South Seas”) by Qing Emperor Guangxu in the 33rd year of his reign (1907). The temple was gazetted as a national monument in 1973.
Comprehensive restoration works was carried out in 1998 and completed in 2000. It won 4 architectural awards, the most prestigious being the 2001 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation. From 2011–2012, Thian Hock Keng underwent another extensive restoration to enhance the monument structurally and aesthetically.
The Temple was built in 1847 at Lavender Road (previously known as Rochor Road). It was refurbished in 1920 and 1928. Although the name of the road has changed, the Temple is still known as “Rochore Tua Pek Kong Temple”.
Kim Lan Beo was first built in Yan Kit Road in 1830. It served as the centre of activities for a Hokkien clan secret society then.
Later in 1881, when Mr Cheang Hong Lim refurbished the Temple, it became a place of worship for the public. In the sixties, SHHK took over the management of the Temple.
In 1988, the land was acquired by the Government and Kim Lan Beo was relocated to Kim Tian Road. The construction cost of the Temple was borne solely by SHHK.
Leng San Teng was built in 1885 at Leng Kee Road, next to the Leng San Cemetery (which was subsequently acquired by the Government in 1923).
The then owner, Mr Gan Ying Leng later entrusted the Temple to SHHK, and it has been managed by SHHK since then.